Monday, July 22, 2013
Healthy Vegan Sloppy Joe Recipe
1 medium onion, chopped
3-5 garlic cloves, chopped
24 oz. can tomato sauce
14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, chili style
2 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein)
2 cups boiling water
Instructions for Sauce
1. Place the tomatoes and oregano in a food processor and pulse about ten times or until you reach the desired consistency.
2. In a large pot lined with a thin layer of water, saute the onion and garlic.
3. Add 1-2 Tbsp. of water if necessary and add cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, and vinegar.
4. Bring to boil and slowly simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Slowly add 2 cups boiling water to TVP in a separate bowl until all water is absorbed by the TVP.
6. Add TVP into the sauce mix and heat for 10-15 more minutes.
7. Add sloppy joe mixture to a whole wheat bun with a slice of vegan cheese, mashed avocado, and red onion for garnish (all optional).
Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.