I used this recipe when I attended my first Engine 2 Potluck at Rip Esselstyn's house in Austin, Texas. That was a crazy busy week and I needed something quick and easy to toss together. I looked around and found a really easy soup and headed over to Whole Foods to purchase the ingredients that I needed. The potluck was a success, and I made a double batch of soup that week with plenty to share. Below I have halved the recipe and slightly modified the ingredients since mine yielded a bit too much, even for a family of four.
yields 8 bowls of soup
2 bay leaves
6 cups of vegetable stock or water
2 cups lentils, rinsed
1 yellow onion, diced
2 potatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, diced
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 tablespoons dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add water or vegetable broth in a large pot to boil over high heat and add bay leaves.
2. Cut onions, potatoes, garlic, carrots and celery.
3. Toss cut veggies with basil and parsley in a large bowl.
4. Add lentil and seasoned veggies to the large pot of boiling broth or water.
5. Reduce to low heat and simmer for an hour.