Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Editing Gone Mad
Five things that drive me crazy:
1) The misuse of the words there, their and they're.
2) Any misspelled word. With spell-check in word processing programs and even included during e-mail composition, this leaves no excuse for misspellings! Especially with Google. (Did you mean definitely?)
3) Too much "fluff". Get. To. The. Point.
4) The unnecessary comma before "and" when listing items/things in a sentence. (ex.: "We ate corn, green beans, and mashed potatoes for dinner.")
5) People who misuse a word in a sentence, thinking it means something it does not. Once again, Google. Please.
I make mistakes when I am writing, but even I like to dissect it afterwards to ensure that I don't sound like a complete idiot. Sometimes I even use a pen on a posted memo to put in the apostrophe that's missing, or a capital letter when need be.
I miss editing. So if I correct your writing, please don't take offense. I am only trying to put my expensive journalism degree to use.
Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.